WEBSITE REFRESH

Making the world a healthier place, one lead at a time.

Summary

Redesigning a life sciences website's UX to support an inbound marketing strategy

 

Role

Lead UX/UI Designer

 

Quick note: In order to comply with my NDA, I have omitted or anonymized confidential information, such as the company's branding, statistics, etc. All images are recreations based off the project. All opinions are my own and do not reflect the view of previous employers, clients, etc.

Overview

About the Project

Klini Scientific is a full-service CRO (contract research organization) that has been serving the pharmaceutical
industry for over 25 years. They provide services for clinical trials, or the process by which medical therapies, treatments and drugs get tested for safety and approved by a country’s medical oversight department (think FDA, EMA, etc).

Despite pharmaceuticals being an industry driven largely by word of mouth and relationships, there are still many companies who like to reach out with RFPs. Although living through the digital revolution, Klini never developed a web presence that allowed prospects to easily reach out for more info. That’s why my team was brought in to do a refresh of the website experience with a focus on an inbound methodology.

The company was holding out on an upcoming rebrand for a full site overhaul and so we were challenged to update the UX within a limited scope.

Project Goals

Increase the amount of inbound leads being submitted online

Conduct a website refresh without conducting a complete overhaul

Discovery

Personas

Before jumping into any design work, I needed to get into the head of the potential site users. Lucky for me, we had previously done market research of who these users were coming into the project, thanks to a long standing relationship with the client.

 

Klini serves players at various stages of the trial process, including pharmaceutical executives, outsourcing directors, doctors and more.

Many of these people are driven by their paychecks, but many also harbor a drive to make a mark on the world and a deep sense of duty to make the world a healthier place. Most of these people are working most of the hours of the day and are often on the go.

Discovery

Finding the Pain Points

I took a step back assessed the current site’s performance. Through a combination of usability testing and analysis of Hotjar and web analytics, I identified two major pain points that kept users from reaching out to the company from the site.

Poor Wayfinding

The existing site didn’t afford easy wayfinding, which was frustrating users and keeping them from finding the info they were looking for, let alone finding ways to reach out.

Lack of Ways To Get In Touch

Existing UI made it nearly impossible to contact the company without making a phone call.

Fixing the

Information Architecture

One of the largest problems with the site was how cumbersome and hard to navigate it was.

Often times, it took users an average of four (4) clicks to reach a page with the information they were looking for, which is unacceptable for any audience, let alone one with a short amount of time.

As such, I wanted to reduce the amount of clicks and offer more direct ways to access the information people cared about. Based on our research, the most important information users were looking for were:

  1. Therapeutic Area and Indication Experience (especially for Infectious Disease and Oncology)
  2. Services offered

There were two major components to solving this: adding access to information on each page and making it easier to find through site navigation.

Klini's Old Task Flow to get to a Therapeutic Area's Landing Page
Old Task Flow to Reach a Therapeutic Area’s Landing Page
New Therapeutic Area Landing Page Task Flow
New Task Flow to Reach a Therapeutic Area’s Landing Page

Restructuring

Navigation

During testing, our users found the site’s header and footer navigation to be overwhelming and not intuitive.

As such, I opted to completely throw out the old header and footer navigation and start from scratch. For the new design, I wanted the navigation to be simple and easy to find what you were looking for. I tested out various nomenclature options that would make it easiest.

Using a Sticky Note Content Taxonomy to Try Out Different Labeling Options

Helping Users

Raise Their Hands

One of the most fundamental issues the site had from an inbound methodology was how users could contact the company. On the existing site, the only way to get more information was to call one of their 800 numbers.

As such, I played with a couple different contact options and where they could be placed to enhance the experience without feeling clunky. While some better options for UX go ruled out due to cost, we landed on some tried and true inbound tactics that offered the best compromise between experience and company goals.

Initial Homepage Wireframe Sketch

Prototype

Testing

From there, we wireframed out the site and began doing some internal testing. Due to timing constraints, we were only able to conduct limited usability testing before launch. Therefore, we proceeded to build out the UI and begin coding the site.

In order to counteract our skewed data, once it was ready, we did a soft launch and send an email out to select clients of Klini to check out the new site. About 15 people did so and we asked them about their experience through a survey, as well as used Hotjar to determine how they used it. Based on the data and the feedback we received, we made some final tweaks.

 

Final Product

OUTCOMES

850% INCREASE

IN WEB LEADS OVER A 6-MONTH PERIOD

 The redesign was incredibly successful, increasing usability, making it easier to get around and, most importantly, bringing in qualified leads for the sales team.

NEXT PROJECT

CAMPUSNOW

Braxton Kocher is a UX/UI designer and researcher.